Wednesday, May 31, 2017

A Major Announcement

This is what Theoni Pappas writes on page 151 of her Magic of Mathematics:

"The ancient Greeks knew how to construct the lengths of irrational numbers using the Pythagorean Theorem."

I've decided to make my grand return to the MTBoS today. Today, I'm actually going back to make up the "Day in the Life" posts I'm missing from March, April, and May.

Georgia high school teacher Tara Daas has a monthly posting date of the 26th. She hasn't made her May 26th post yet, but she made her January, February, and March posts all on the same day. Her triple-post has inspired me to do the same. But unlike Daas, I prefer actually going back and editing one post from each of the months in question so that the date on the post is correct. I'd rather have a March post dated March (even if I didn't write it until today) than a January post dated April.

I mention something important regarding my teacher career in these posts. (Yes, Daas tells a similar story in her triple-post as well.) I recommend that you go back and read the edited posts before you try to read the rest of today's post. Here are the links:

http://commoncoregeometry.blogspot.com/2017/03/lesson-12-2-size-changes-without.html
http://commoncoregeometry.blogspot.com/2017/04/lesson-13-5-tangents-to-circles-and.html
http://commoncoregeometry.blogspot.com/2017/05/lesson-15-8-isoperimetric-inequality.html

(Yes, I kept the old post titles even though they now have little to do with the post content.)

Now that you've finished reading the links, let me do a special "Day in the Life" post for today.

8:00 -- The interviews continue as I arrive at a charter high school. This is for a higher math position, most likely Algebra II and above. This interview goes quickly.

9:20 -- I drive past my old school again. On the Wednesday schedule, this happens to be just in time for seventh grade P.E. class. I don't make any attempt to slow down and stop this time, otherwise that eagle-eyed seventh grade boy would probably spot my car again.

10:00 -- I arrive at a library and begin typing on the computer. It's actually part of an application for a summer school position at a high school. Last week, I interviewed for the position, and the principal told me to submit lesson plans for a six-week Integrated Math I course. I'm not sure whether I'm still in the running for this position, but since the school isn't far from the interview location and my old school, I decide to stop at a library and type it up.

11:15 -- I drop off the Math I lesson plans at the school that requested them. I then head for home, stopping for lunch on the way.

1:15 -- I receive a phone call from the second school I interviewed with on May 19th. After she double checks my credential on the phone, she informs me that I have been accepted for the position.

And so this is the big announcement for today. I will be working at a new school for my second year of teaching, after my first didn't go so well.

I'll be writing about my new school over the next few posts, but let me say a few things now. It's a charter school whose grade span is 6th-12th. It's actually possible that I could be teaching both middle and high school math. The school offers Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II rather than Integrated Math -- traditionalists will be happy about that.

This ends three of the toughest months of my life -- I don't care whether you call it "Big March," "Long April," and "If You May." I finally have a teaching job again -- and I owe it all to Sarah Carter and Christie Bradshaw, whose lesson I used to impress the principal and her interview panel. In the end, even if I stopped posting for a while, I never truly left the MTBoS.

This concludes this brief but important post. I will submit all four of these posts to "Day of the Life" (including this one, since it completes the story I began in the other three posts). I'm counting this post as being for the special day "Last day of school" (which isn't too far off the mark, as eighth grade graduation at my old school is this Friday).

No comments:

Post a Comment