Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Lesson 2.2.1: Subtraction of Rational Numbers (Day 30)

Today the eighth graders begin their study of slope. This is obviously one of the more important topics of eighth grade, since it appears again in Algebra I.

Yesterday I didn't mention Sarah Carter's DIXI-ROYD mnemonic since domain/range didn't appear anywhere in the APEX lesson. But today I definitely mention her "Slope Dude" mountain analogy, including "puff-puff positive," "nice and negative," "boring zero slope," and "undefined cliff." Here's a link to the post where she introduces "Slope Dude":

https://mathequalslove.blogspot.com/2015/11/slope-dude-says.html

In the lesson, there is a brief mention of similar triangles as proof of the slope formula. This is indeed required by the Common Core Standards. But, as we know, similarity isn't taught until the G standards, while slope is considered an EE standard -- and most texts teach all EE standards before any G's. This is why, while deriving slope from similarity is a good idea, I can't see how it works in practice. Again, most students learn about slope before similarity.

Meanwhile, seventh grade is learning about subtraction of integers. I obviously don't want to rush integer arithmetic since we know how important this topic is at this level. In fact, the head of the department comes in to tell me that it's OK so slow down this topic a little. Originally, the students are to take the subtraction quiz at the end of this week, but she may delay this. She'll soon update the official pacing plan/study guide with a new date for the quiz.

I receive a message that one eighth grade girl who had previously opted out of hybrid has since changed her mind and will be opting into hybrid -- moving from Cohort WO to WF. But due to the size of the classes, she's moving from my first period to my fourth period. She becomes the tenth student in my fourth period in-person class on Wednesdays and Fridays -- without the schedule change, she would have become the fifteenth student in my first period.

Because of the schedule change, I was sent a copy of her grades -- once the change is made, her grades will be automatically erased of the system (and so the copy is for reentering the grades). But since my Canvas and other accounts still aren't working, this is the first time I've seen any of my students' grades -- and so this is an opportunity to see more about how grades will work during distance learning.

Actually, there are some non-APEX grades in the system, but still, APEX is the lion's share. Unfortunately this student has an APEX grade of D. Thanks to some non-APEX grades (mostly introductory videos and short benchmark quizzes), her current grade is C-. Still, this does show that this girl can probably use some extra help, and so I should reach out to her when I get the chance.

And I'll be seeing her tomorrow, along with the rest of the Wednesday-Friday cohort. As I mentioned earlier, this school has cohorts even during distance learning. So tomorrow I'll repeat today's lesson.

Today's song is the "Dren Song," my traditional first day of school song:

The Dren Song -- by Mr. Walker

I don't know why I take math.
I'm all caught up in its wrath.
I'd rather just be a dren.
I would be so happy then.
Tell me what would happen when,
I'm no longer just a dren.
What if I were great at math?
What would be my future path?
Customers won't think it's strange,
When I figure out their change.
Algebra and calculus,
Get me in a cool college.
Once I finish my degree,
Future employers will see,
Of my strong background in STEM.
I know that will impress them.
Reach the moon, be a hero!
I won't just be a zero!
I'll be great, or it may seem,
That this all is just a dream,
'Cause my math skills are so bad.
I can't subtract! I can't add!
I can't multiply by ten.
I will always be a dren.
Now I know why I take math.
Help me find a better path!
I would be so happy then.
But I'm just a dren.

As I sing this song to the fourth period, a few students claim in "chat" that they were "drens." I make sure that I stay positive here -- I tell them that last week when I was hired here, I asked whether there were any "drens" at this school, and that the response was "of course not." So I reassure them that they aren't "drens" -- there are only smart and almost-smart students. I also mention the fourth resolution during tutorial: "We need to inflate the wheels of our bike," with also goes along with this idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment