Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Chapter 1 Mock Exam (Days 25-27)

https://sites.google.com/site/thefunctionsong/lyrics

The Function Song - by Alex Milanese

F-U-N-C-T-I-O-N spells function, get it?
Everybody’s wondering what we’re talking about,
well you put something in and you get something out, it’s a function, oh yeah.
Well you can’t spell “function” without “fun”, f(x) = 2x+1.
That’s a function, I mean, that’s just one example—there’s a bunch of them.
Hey girl, what’s your name?
My name is D, I live in the domain.
What you looking at me like that for? Do you think it’s strange
that I only go to one place in the range?
Singing inputs and outputs, I never get a rest.
Can someone hook me up with a vertical line test?
‘Cause I got to know if you’re a function baby.
Show me what you’re working with.
If a vertical line passes through more than one of your points,
I know I’ve got to get up on out of this joint, ‘cause you’re not a function baby.
I hate to be the one to tell you, but if you can’t pass a vertical line test then
you’re definitely not a function. Got it? Alright good, here we go.
Now before you make any sort of computation,
make sure you’ve got these things written in function notation.
And that f(x) part does not mean multiply. It means the value of f
at that given value x. So just keep that part straight, ok?
Now some of you are thinking that this is hysterical,
but I always run around with an independent variable.
And it can be whatever you want it to be because it’s independent.
That’s kind of the point of being independent, right? Alright.
Well if you still need help I’ll be your flight attendant.
The variable you get out is called dependent, so it’s a dependent variable.
Because it depends on the input. I don’t know who came up with that,
But that’s pure genius, so will use it. Alright.
Evaluate a function, I’m as serious as cancer.
Just put in the input and out comes the answer.
That’s straight forward; I understand. That’s why I like math so much.
I love math, so I write songs about it. Alright, anyway, what’s next?
So you want to graph it? Some of you don’t care.
How we going to do it? Just make an ordered pair.
Put in that input, get an output, turn it into an ordered pair,
and plot those points, and you’re good to go.
Seems pretty straight forward right? I know, I agree.
Eventually there’s more that you got to know,
but as for me and my crew we like to take it slow,
so for right now you are good to go.
Don’t forget to holla atcha boy – word! Ok…


Yes, I will still play songs that I find on YouTube from time to time. This time, I decided that I wanted another song about functions, so this song by teacher Alex Milanese (from a decade ago) fits the bill.

Milanese plays this song using the B minor and E minor chords -- but as you can see, he's clearly using a capo on the guitar, so he's really playing Em and Am. Since I don't have a capo on my guitar, I play it today using the Em and Am chords. This also fits my vocal range better, as the melody now emphasizes the notes E and G that are closer to the center of my range.

No comments:

Post a Comment