Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Lesson 2.1.4: Graphing Linear Equations (Days 44-46)

NINE NINE NINE

Chorus: 
Nine nine nine
Fantastic number nine
It’s perfectly consistent
It works out every time
Nine nine nine
That crazy number nine
Times any number you can find
It all comes back to nine

First Verse:
Two times nine is eighteen, Eight and one is nine
Three times nine is twenty-seven, Seven and two is nine
Four times nine is thirty-six, Six and three is nine
Five times nine is forty-five, Five and four is nine
Six times nine is fifty-four, Five and four is nine
Seven times nine is sixty-three, Six and three is nine
Eight times nine is seventy-two, Seven and two is nine
Nine times nine is eighty-one, Eight and one is nine (to Chorus)

Second Verse:
Nine times ten is ninety, Just drop the zero sign
Nine times eleven is ninety-nine, Makes me rhyme with another line
Then nine and nine is eighteen, And eight and one is nine
Times any number you can find
It all comes back to nine
This work for bigger numbers, too? Yup.
Let’s try this’un: three thousand four hundred’n eighty seven
Hmm … nine times three thousand four hundred eighty seven is
Thirty-one thousand three hundred eighty-three
Three plus one plus three plus eight plus three is eighteen;
One plus eight is nine.
It always works! (to Chorus)


It's been some time since I performed a Square One TV song in class. There are several reasons why I choose this week for "Nine Nine Nine":
  • First, I already have performed several slope songs during this chapter.
  • It is Week 9 of the school year -- well, it is if Sara(h) Week counts as Week 0. The other Math I teachers have posted a pacing plan where the school year starts with Week 0. And since there was no homework during Week 0, Assignment #1 was due Week 1 and Assignment #9 is due this week, so this week is already associated with nine. (I also sang "Nine Nine Nine" two years ago, during the ninth week of my long-term assignment.)
  • Tomorrow is Parent Conferences Day. While there likely won't be much time to perform for parents who are concerned with grades, I might be able to squeeze at least part of the song (maybe the chorus) in between conferences. (I also sang "Nine Nine Nine" for parents six years ago, during Back to School Night at the old charter school.)
  • Two years ago, I sang "Nine Nine Nine" just ahead of the 9's Hero Quiz. Well, as it turns out, I'm bringing back Hero Quizzes for my Math I students.
Yes, I mentioned earlier on the blog that I was considering Hero Quizzes, and Friday, the minimum day associated with Parent Conferences Night, is the perfect day to do one. However, this quiz will be different from the ones I implemented at middle schools.

I believe that at high schools, students will consider pure multiplication quizzes to be "beneath them" (no matter how much these students really need practice multiplying one-digit numbers). So instead, they will be consist of two review questions from a previous chapter. This week's Hero Quiz will contain two equations (one two-step, one with distributive).

The quiz will be Tech 55, with no calculators, computers, phones, or earbuds allowed. I will tell them that their notes likely won't help them. One of the coefficients in the equations will be nine, so that the "Nine Nine Nine" song is useful. (And the lyrics will still be posted on the wall for them, where I usually post song lyrics.) We'll see how it turns out.

Last year, I counted Parent Conferences Day as a special post for "A Day in the Life" -- though it helped that it fell on a regularly scheduled posting day. This year, I've decided not to post on either Parent Conferences Day or the following minimum day (which is not a monthly minimum day, as these no longer exist).

Instead, my next posting day will be on my new monthly posting day -- the 17th, which is Monday. I'll do "A Day in the Life" in that next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment