Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Lesson 2.3.2: Two Points to Equation (Day 53)

SLOPE INTERCEPT RAP
by Lamar Queen

Chorus (x2)
Let’s talk about slope intercept
I don’t mind if you interject,
just don’t disrespect
You say you got a question for me, yes?
What’s y=mx+b?

Verse 1
This is a line in function form,
it’s also slope intercept for it
Half ya’ll like,
“This is boring”
The other half is like,
“This sounds foreign”
M represents
the slope of a line
If it’s negative
then you know it declines
B is where it crosses the Y axis
If you don’t pay attention then why ask us
To repeat?
Sit down in your seat
Listen to the words
that I say to this beat
Parallel lines have the same rise over run
Even if the y-intercepts are a 9 and a 1
Question:
can you plot three ordered pairs?
Pick the X values and the Y is there, oh my I swear
This math stuff is easy and Imma take you there
Chorus (x2)

Verse 2
Ya’ll sound so typical,
ya’ll like math I’m sick of you
But can you find the reciprocal?
Can you tell me what the power to the tenth will do?
If you can then you can be the principal
Get a loan and don’t think about the principle
Is your variation direct?
Did you know that K = Y/X, yup!
Just food for thought
And please try to remember all the things I taught
And don’t forget where you come from, your origin
And Y = KX always goes through the origin
X = A and Y = B
Vertical and horizontal lines respectively
Doing math is like cooking,
and these notes are the recipe
From Mr. Walker, let’s go [enter district name]!
Chorus (x2)
Bridge (x2)
Do your classwork, do your homework, yes (x4)
Get A’s on the quiz, get A’s on the test (x4)
Notes, notes, notes, notes, notes, notes, put your pens up (x2)



As it turns out, this song and video are posted on our Math I pacing guide for this week. I'm still slightly behind the pace, but doing a lesson with a rap -- and one that I can perform -- is a no-brainer. I point out that the original artist for this rap, Lamar Queen, is a fellow Southern Californian math teacher (or at least he was in 2009, when he produced this video). Today I hand out some guided notes (the lyrics with some keywords missing) for students to glue into their interactive notebooks.

This I combine with the main Desmos lesson for the day, two points to equation -- at least that's what I do in fourth period. Second period is behind due to last week's earthquake drill, and so I only get to do point and slope to equation with them, not two points. (And yes, today's an earthquake in California -- Northern California, that is, so we don't feel it here in Southern California.)

Sixth period, which doesn't meet today, is another story altogether. That special ed meeting that was supposed to happen last Thursday was delayed to this Thursday. On one hand, it allowed me to do the point and slope lesson with sixth period last week. On the other, the meeting is now scheduled for the day I wanted to give the district Benchmarks -- and I don't want to leave something like district tests for a possible sub.

And so I'll give the tests to sixth period tomorrow -- their first block period of the week. It means that sixth period won't get a two points lesson before the tests (but I must admit that there are many low students in this class -- most likely wouldn't understand two points anyway). Then again, this sudden change is affecting my song lineup for the week -- sixth period might not get today's rap. (At least they can still watch the video.)

Notice that tomorrow is also the second block period for fourth period, and so that class is testing as well that day. Only second period will test on Thursday. (Math III, meanwhile, doesn't take Benchmarks until next week.)

By the way, yesterday's Math I lesson was interesting. The TOSA set up a calculator-based laboratory in the library, and invited the Math I classes to go on a "slope walk" -- it was my turn yesterday. The students must walk according to a given linear equation -- so for y = 2x + 1, for example, they must begin a the 1-foot mark and walk 2 feet per second. A motion sensor captures the movement and sends the data to the calculator, and the kids get to evaluate each other on their accuracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment